Woven Together: Welcome to Folklorama!
Folklorama is the largest and longest-running multicultural festival of its kind. As a child, I volunteered as a dancer, eventually being part of the production group for the Pearl of the Orient Philippine Pavilion. Since then, I have traded in my performer pass for a media one. It’s hard to believe that it has been a year since I got to #SeeItAll (literally, each and every pavilion) over two weeks at Folklorama! And now it’s that time again! Make sure you’re ready to travel the world within Winnipeg’s city limits!
The 2016 Folklorama Kick-Off
- When: Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 starting at 4:00pm
- Where: Memorial Park (downtown, in front of the Legislative Building).
- Cost: FREE!
The event includes a marketplace with interactive children’s activities, as well as cultural and sporting demonstrations. Bring a blanket or some low lawn chairs to get comfortable. Quench your thirst at the brand new International Wine and Beer Garden (ages 18+). The program will be hosted by local radio personalities and the four 2016 Folklorama Ambassador Generals:
- Inderjit Gill – 2016 Adult Male Ambassador General (Punjab Pavilion)
- Martina Vergata – 2016 Adult Female Ambassador General (Italian Pavilion)
- Daniella Archer – 2016 Youth Female Ambassador General (Africa/Caribbean Pavilion)
- Marcelo Aiello – 2016 Youth Male Ambassador General (Pearl of the Orient Philippine Pavilion)
Event Program Schedule
- 4:00 pm
- Drumming Workshop hosted by Drum Café
- 5:15 pm
- Caso do Minho Portuguese Dancers
- Zoloto Ukrainian Dance Company
- 6:00 pm
- Taiko Drumming Workshop hosted by Phoebe Man
- Borely & Stearns
- 7:00 pm
- Parade of Ambassadors
- O Canada by Sister Dorothy
- Welcome Remarks and Speeches
- 8:00 pm
- McConnell Irish Dancers
- La Troupe Jeunesse
- Capoeira Workshop hosted by Viva Brasil
- 9:00 pm
- Ana Karen Lopez
- 9:15 pm
- Descarga Latina
To get us excited about the sights, sounds, and tastes of Folklorama for 2016, I have put together one photo (my personal favourite from the bunch) from all participating pavilions of 2015.
If you have not yet been down to Folklorama, make sure you take an evening or two (or 14!) to check out what this beautiful, culturally diverse city has to offer. What has been your favourite Folklorama moment? Connect with me and let me know! Better yet, see you on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Park!